Sigmund F. "John" "Sig" Czachowski
December 10, 1922 - November 21, 2012
Sigmund F. “John” “Sig” Czachowski, age 89, died on November 21, 2012.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Edith Czachowski in 1984, and is survived by his daughter, Linda “Lynn” (Douglas) Pramstaller; his son, Ron Czachowski; grandchildren, Laurie (Douglas) Schuster and Lisa Pramstaller; great grandchildren, Alicia and Jenna Schuster; brother, Frank (Wanda) and numerous nieces, nephews and dear friends.

Mr. Czachowski served as a Corporal in the European Theatre with the U.S. Army during WWII, and for many years owned and operated Johnny’s Barber Shop on Grand River, two blocks west of Southfield Road in Detroit.

Mass of the Resurrection will be held at Church of the Holy Spirit, 3700 N. Harvey Lake Road, Highland, on Monday, November 26, at 10AM with the Rev. Fr. Leo Lulko officiating.  Burial Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Southfield.  Friends may visit at Lynch & Sons Funeral Home, 404 E. Liberty St., Milford, on Sunday, November 25, from 12-8PM with a Rosary at 7PM.  Memorials may be made in his name to the Church of the Holy Spirit Women’s Club or to VFW Post 4357 Honor Guard in Brighton.  For further information please phone 248-684-6645.

A Life

I sit with my Dad now while he sleeps, trying to remember the past events and the things he taught me.

Dad was born December 10, 1922 to Felix and Josephine Czachowski.  He was the second oldest of five boys and a baby sister.  From his boyhood stories I remember two episodes that stand out, both occurred during the Great Depression.  First, was when St. Anthony’s sent him to Camp on summer vacation, the facility was located in the thumb, and is still there today.  The Second, was finding a 40” model sailing boat, which had all the rigging and masts, broken.  He found this coming back from the train yards where he went to pick up coal, which had fallen off the tracks, during the Great Depression.  His parents would later lose their home during the Great Depression.

Before World War II he met a young lady named Edith Byczynski at one of the Popular Ballrooms then so much in vogue before the war.  Their plans to be engaged where altered by the events of December 7, 1941, the attack upon Pearl Harbor.

Drafted into the Army he served in the 9th Army Air Force.  His responsibility was to arm the bombers and fighter bombers.  The ninth Air Force primary mission was one of support for the Army Ground Forces.  He spoke of D-Day, the number of American planes in the sky that day was incredible.  During the Battle of the Bulge he captured two German paratroopers who had dropped behind the Allied lines.  He was made Corporal for that but was more upset because they got to eat breakfast before he did, while he remained on duty.  All of this during the coldest Winter in Europe in fifty years, the Army would not deliver wool socks until Spring.  After the war dad would often wonder what type of lives the two German soldiers he captured led after the war.  The one event of the War that he never spoke about was when he served as an interpreter, being able to speak a foreign language, Polish, he was asked to go into some of the DP (displaced persons) Camps to assist in identifying the people there.

After World War II he married Edith Byczynski.  He attended Green Barber College, which he completed in 1947.  They moved into their first house on the far west side of Detroit on Plainview.  Trouble came on in July 26, 1948 with the birth of their first child, a son, whom they named Ronald, to be followed by a daughter, Linda, two years later on October 1, 1950.

Dad worked for Bill’s Barber Shop located on Grand River and Southfield.  When Bill retired my dad took over the business and named it Johnny’s Barber Shop.  I went to a school for the partially sighted on Puritan Avenue in Detroit.  I remember the times that Dad and I had to race to catch that bus, which would take me to school.  We raced to catch that bus on many a day.
Dad’s favorite sport was fishing and I remember all the times that we went fishing with Uncle Ed and my cousin Roy.  Dad had a natural knack for stopping at the best spot for him.  Since he drove the boat and fished from the back, the fish always seemed to be in the back of the boat.  Dad’s response was “you guys aren’t holding your mouth the right way”, followed by “got another one”.  When dad and I went Walleye fishing in Lake Erie, he always caught the most.  I had to drive the boat.

When dad retired, he took the time to redo all the rigging on the boat that he found as a little boy.  That boat now resides in my basement, covered by Plexiglas, made by my Uncle Harry.  Dad’s interest in retirement was centered on his wife and his grandchildren.

The hardest blow my dad ever received during his life was when his wife Edith passed away on April 4, 1984.  It was truly devastating to my dad.  He was never more grief-stricken than on that day.  He never dated again and lived alone.  He went to see many of his former customers when they became shut-ins.  He loved his flowers and his garden.  He remained active at St. Suzanne Parish, where he was one of the founding members.  When he fell in the backyard and was taken to the hospital, we learned that he was diagnosed with stage four prostate cancer.

My dad taught me many things during my life.  First, he taught me how to be independent, a necessity while dealing with my vision problem.  Second, and most important of all, dad taught me how to be content with my place in life and how to be happy with that place, not being envious of those who may have more.

During the course of his life, Dad gave over ten gallons of blood to the Red Cross and he participated in the first Easter Seal Drive, for child birth defects. 
Dad loved others and he loved life.


                        -Ron Czachowski

Lynch & Sons Location:   Milford Visitation:
Location of Service:    Service Time:
Dear Uncle John, Roy and I are sharing all the great times we had with you over the years, hair cuts, fishing, Family get togethers, playing cards and the many visits you shared with us. We will dearly miss you. Now you can rest in peace with Aunt Edith. Linda, Doug, Ronnie and families are prayers are with you at this sad time. Love Cousin Roy and Jennie

Jennie Byczynski

Linda, So sorry to read about your Dad. Don't know if you remember me, but I was a childhood friend who lived on Auburn and moved away in 7th grade. I remember many happy times being at your house and that your last name presented my first spelling challenge! Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sue (Gerou) Kelly

Dear Lynn, Ron, and Family, Sorry to hear of your dad's passing. We did not get the message until Sunday. Mom and dad are now 86 and 92. They do not drive and are not able to handle long distances in the car, but please know that your family is in our family's thoughts and prayers. Ron I enjoyed reading your memories of your father...cherish these memories! I'd like to share a memory that I have: I can remember getting my 1st look at a color tv at your parent's home. They were so proud to own one! I can remember the colors were mostly very green and very red, but never the less, it was color! What a long way we have come since those days! I, also, enjoyed exchanging Christmas cards with your dad even after your mom was gone. That was very special to me. Hugs to everyone. Love, your cousin, Elaine

Elaine & Bob Schaefer

© Lynch & Sons Funeral Directors Staff Login Site by AccuNet